For me the following trends are emerging from the postings made by others in the Future Trends and Directions class and my own items posted [and not] to the UMtrends11 Diigo group:
- Online/Blended Learning
- Personalized/Adaptive Learning
- Mobile Learning/Mobility
- Apps Ecosystems
- Cloud Computing
- BYOD [bring your own device] Who are we to stop it?
- Demographics – EAL [English as an Additional Language]
- Flipping Education
- Gaming in Education
- Innovation [or the decline of innovation]
- Growth of Social Learning
- Digital Content [eBooks, digital textbooks, etc.]
- Augmented Reality/Learning
- Data Mining/Analytics
Some of these have obvious crossover [perhaps all] that will have to be explored. Some might be new to people…flipping [Salman Khan at Ted] for example and require more examination and a detailed description. Most are not new but continue to be impacted by changes in technology, the economy, educational policy, pedagogy and andragogy.
Anyway…a lot of fodder for the initial trend report and one or two are calling me to dig a little deeper. The last one on the list is perhaps more an observation than a trend. There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the way things currently are in education and many items posted are about solutions/reactions to or fixes for the described problems. Maybe this is a huge example of crowdsourcing?